Saturday 15 January 2011

Bulldog Sheila or the GangBulldog Sheila or the Gang by T F W Hickey

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This is a personal 5* because this book meant so much to me when I was 8 years old. Written as a children's adventure, it's something I can still read today (very occasionally, but it holds memories of childhood for me). It's the story of Sheila whose parents go away and leave her in the care of her aunt. Almost at once, sinister things start to happen. With over 200 pages it looks as though it should be a daunting read for any child but the ones I know who have read it have found it unputdownable. Bulldog refers to the fictional Bulldog Drummond idolised by heroine Sheila who wants to be as brave and resourceful as he is. I was never a huge fan of the Bulldog Drummond books myself and do not think they have travelled across the decades. I couldn't read them nowadays. The style of Bulldog Sheila or the Gang is light and easy and in many ways hasn't dated. However, it was published in 1936 and reflects the attitudes of the day in ways that can be quite disconcerting. But mainly it is a brilliant adventure story.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment